Tuesday, August 21, 2007

dug up the grave...

Today was just another ordinary day, except for some reason I did felt poetic. I end up typing sweet sms to her bcuz yeah, I missed her and of course I was thinking a lot about her. Damn, I wish I could recall what I typed in the sms though. Hehe... Yeah, back to the story...

For the lab we had today for our Marine Biodiversity and Conservation class, we had to do a beach cleanup. Of course I knew what to expect since I did like a few already. However, Prof. Chan, who is the lecturer for the class and also happens to be my supervisor for my final year project, asked me to recall the spot where we had buried the soft-shell turtle back in January.
It was really an amazing day to find a dead body of an animal that once thought to be extinct in Malaysia. The body of the soft-shell turtle was washed on the beach, and I remember going there with Azri, Pian, and Fidzam to have a look at the body. We buried it after taking the length and width of the the poor animal. So 7 months later, Prof Chan decided to excavate the body to collect the skeletons. It took a while to find the spot where the soft-shell turtle was buried because somehow the sticks we used to mark the grave was removed. We dug at 4 different places, but we found the soft-shell turtle on the 2nd spot. It was that I didn't buried the hole deep enough to find the bag that contained the turtle. We dug out, and Prof Chan asked to washed the skeleton from the remaining of the decayed body. It sure was a freaking and messy job. My first reaction was EEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!! What shocked me was that not even the lab assistant was willing to help to clean the skeletal remains. So yeah, I volunteered for the job because somehow, it was an interesting thought to having found a very rare animal. So I did the whole dirty job, and of course got the higher respect from Prof Chan. Soon enough, we'll have to clean the skeletal remains furthermore and then to assemble it. I can't wait to do that part, as in the assembling lah. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment